10.18.2009

Checking In.

The only thing I've really had a chance to do lately is enter a few competitions.

The first was The ASCAP/Lotte Lehmann Foundation Art Song Competition, where I submitted a now unfortunately titled art song, named "Twilight", on a poem by Walt Whitman. Scored for Piano and Tenor, it was based on a particular sonority and its mirror inversion.

The other was a competition for Areon Flutes. I sent in a few solo pieces and an old trio that I wrote a few years back. The trio included a section loosely based on the Raga Todi, which is said to have the mystic power to attract deer.

The other pieces where a set, two solo pieces that could be combined into a single duo. Each one was based on mutually hexachords. The title "Feadog Mhór" is translated from Gaelic to mean "to whistle a lot" and the individual movement "Scáth" and "Solas" are "Shadow" and "Light" respectively.

I would go into more detail, but right now I don't have so much time, so I'll just post them.

Here is the solo flute set, enjoy.

Feadog Mhór by Brian DeLaney

1 comment: