7.18.2008

Here It Goes.

So I am finishing what looks to be the last of my works that will rely heavily on the major/minor system. It is a string quartet (my first) in three movements, written especially for my upcoming wedding. It is basically program music:

1. Music for before the ceremony
2. The bridal march
3. Exit music

So it is pretty basic as far as structure and tonal applications go, after all it is music to fill a particular context, in this case a wedding, so I really didn't feel comfortable going to far away from standard practice.

Here is a short overview:

Movement number one follows, more or less, the traditional sonata-allegro form (I don't want to go into to much detail, I am really paranoid about people taking my ideas, I will post more extensive examples and explanations after the performance and copyright).

The bridal march is actually a three-part mensuration canon, with a fourth free voice added, and a touch of modality.

The final movement is a short rondo, with an Irish flair.

So far the hardest part of the whole process for me is the fact that I am trying to stay within a major tonality, because I didn't think anything deliberately "minor-sounding" stayed within the vein of wedding music.

More to come as it progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment